Edinburgh hosts a staggering 12 world class Festivals each year ranging from Jazz and Blues to Books and Films which makes Edinburgh the Festival city of the UK and the perfect place for a short break.
Like us, you have probably heard of the Edinburgh International Festival, the Military Tattoo and the Edinburgh Fringe but we have to admit we were surprised how many other wonderful events there are including the International Book and Film Festivals, Imaginate Children’s Festival, Science Festival, the Art Festival and lots more.
It’s quite a line up and although some of the best known ones are in August you will the others spread across the year.
All of this adds up to a staggering 2,500 events each year and so, it is fair to say, if there is one place you are planning to head this year for a weekend break or short break make it Edinburgh as you are sure to be well entertained.
The key dates for the Edinburgh Festivals in 2012 are:
2012 Summer Festivals
- Edinburgh International Film Festival- 20 June – 1 July 2012
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe- 3rd – 27th August 2012
- Edinburgh International Festival- 9th Aug – 2nd Sept 2012
- Edinburgh Jazz & Blues Festival- 20th July – 29th July 2012
- Edinburgh International Book Festival- 11th – 27th Aug 2012
- The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo- 3rd – 25th Aug 2012
- Edinburgh Mela Festival- 31st Aug – 2nd Sept 2012
- Edinburgh Art Festival- 2nd Aug – 2nd Sept 2012
2012 Autumn and Winter Festivals
- Scottish International Storytelling Festival: 19-28 October 2012
- Edinburgh’s Hogmanay: 30 Dec 2012- 1 January 2013
Find out more about the Edinburgh Festivals and self catering accommodation close by